DOING something as simple as going upstairs while you leave something cooking could result in a fire which could devastate your home, and your life.
Muir helps reduce the risk of fire in your home by conducting annual gas safety checks, and regularly testing smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
But being ‘fire safe’ is your responsibility too.
Home Office data for 2018-19 showed that cooking appliances were the largest cause of ignition in accidental property fires at 48% – with smoking materials, such as cigarettes causing 8%.
Chip or fat pan fires caused 6% of house fires during the same period.
“It’s vitally important that you take precautions to help prevent fire in your home, as well as being aware of what to do if one ignites,” Steve Fowley, Muir’s Senior Fire Officer said.
“Take a look at advice in our Fire Safety Resident Factsheet. The precautions you start taking take today could prevent a devastating fire in your home tomorrow.”