What is Safeguarding?

Safeguarding means protecting a person’s right to live in safety, free from abuse and neglect.

Working together with residents and other agencies, we aim to safeguard residents and prevent and stop both the risks, and experience, abuse or neglect can create.

Safeguarding applies to children, young people and adults.


Concerned about a Muir resident?

If you’re worried about a fellow Muir resident or their family, then you can tell us in the knowledge that we’ll help.

You can contact us in confidence to ensure your friend or neighbour will receive the help they need.

Muir will investigate your concerns in line with our own Safeguarding policy.

This applies to adults, young people and children.

Abuse is the violation of a someone’s human and/or civil rights by other people.

Neglect is the failure to meet the basic needs of someone who is at risk.

Harm can be physical and/or psychological injury.



Types of Abuse

  • Physical, sexual or psychological abuse
  • Financial abuse
  • Domestic abuse
  • Neglect or self neglect
  • Exposure to substance abuse
  • Organisational abuse
  • Modern Slavery


Reporting a Safeguarding Concern

We encourage any resident, member of the local community, staff, contractors and any other person carrying out business on behalf of Muir Group, to report anything they may consider to be a safeguarding concern.

We will respond to, record and risk assess all safeguarding concerns and incidents, working in partnership with, and referring to other agencies as necessary.

We will report serious incidents and/or allegations of abuse to the Police to investigate.

If you are worried about another Muir resident or their family:

Call Muir on 0300 123 1222 where one of our Customer Experience Team’s advisors will take details of your concern.

Alternatively, complete the online Safeguarding concern form

Or, email

If you think there is an immediate risk of harm, to a child or adult, dial 999 and report it to police.


Useful Contacts:

Care Quality Commission: regulation of care providers - 03000 616161

Independent Age: advice and support for older people - 0800 319 6789

Women’s Aid: working to end domestic violence against women and children - 0808 2000 247 or call 08000 121 700