Subletting my shared ownership home

Can I sublet my shared ownership home?

We may give permission for subletting in very exceptional circumstances for a temporary period and where the subletting is not for commercial gain.

However, you are otherwise not allowed to move out of your shared ownership property and sublet it as your shared ownership lease does not allow this.

If you sublet your home without our written agreement you will be in breach of your shared ownership lease. Court action will be taken and you will have to end the subletting.

You can live in your property as your main home and take in a lodger with our permission.


In what circumstances can I sublet?

Property picture Each request will only be allowed if there is a valid reason. For example:

  • If you are a serving member of the armed forces and required to serve away of a distance of at least 90 minutes traveling time or 50 miles.
  • If you are moving out of the area for a temporary period for work.
  • If you need to move out of the property to care for a relative temporarily.
  • A prison term.
  • If you have been marketing your property for sale for a long time, reduced the asking price, and been unable to secure a sale.


How long can I sublet for?

Permission will only be given for a maximum 12 month period . At the end of this time you will need to either:

  • Sell your shared ownership home.
  • Move back into the property.
  • Buy the remaining shares in the property if you are able to purchase 100%. You will then be able to continue subletting.


Mortgage Lenders

If you have a mortgage on the property your mortgage lender will need to provide their written agreement.


Property pictures Other Requirements

The person you sublet to will need to be registered with a Help to Buy agent and enter into a tenancy agreement. You will also need to employ a letting agent.

You will continue to be responsible for paying the shared ownership rent directly to Muir.

If you rent out your property, as the landlord you will need to arrange gas and electrical safety checks on the property.

You will need to let your insurers know.

You will need to provide us with a correspondence address and contact details for yourself.


Administration Fees

If we support your application to sublet you will be asked to pay a non-refundable administration fee.


How to Apply

To apply please complete the form below and email a copy of any supporting evidence to

Supporting evidence could include an offer of employment or a doctors letter.

We will then get in touch with you to discuss your request in more detail.


Request to sublet your shared ownership home

Note: Questions marked by * are mandatory